Friday, October 12, 2012

YOLO?! That's so Ratchet.


Over used word.
YOLO:
If you don’t know what “YOLO” means it is “You Only Live Once”.
This saying originated in Drakes song “The Motto” the purpose of the song was to say you only live once that’s the motto of life.
This saying has become a HUGE controversy over the past few months, over the summer everything was “#YOLO” but is it overused?
Personally I love Drakes song “The Motto” it has been out for a while and the next thing the term YOLO exploded across America through “#YOLO” tweets. I don’t mind the saying YOLO but when people use it context that doesn’t make sense or simply makes them look really idiotic. It can be funny at times but now it is way to over used. I don’t say it anymore because if you say it people just think you are stupid.
I’m pretty sure have the students in high school believe this saying is over used. A lot of people are done saying it now. This saying was cool over the summer but it isn’t any more.
What’s next?!
Ratchet:
This word is a new trend. I have been hearing it more and more in ways like “That’s Ratchet” or “Your Ratchet”.
But what does this word even mean? I looked up the definition on Dictionary.com it says”
1. a toothed bar with which a pawl engages.
2.  (not in technical use) a pawl or the like used with a ratchet or ratchet wheel.
3. a mechanism consisting of such a bar or wheel with the pawl.
4. ratchet wheel.
5. a steady progression up or down: the upward ratchet of oil prices.

So why would teenagers be saying “that’s so “a toothed bar with which a pawl engages”” personally I have no idea why some chose that word. It sounds cool and maybe that’s it but the slang term for it is:
“Hot Mess” “Dirty” “ugly” “slut” etc.
So it’s actually a really rude term. I sure hope this word doesn’t become over used. It’s a stupid slang for stupid reasons.  Not to mention how rude it is.
I know I already said this but I really hope this word doesn’t become over used. I feel like people are going to use Ratchet as more of “that’s sick bro” which isn’t as bad as “dirty”…
I wonder where these terms actually come from and who comes up with them?
Something to research?!
(405 words)

No comments:

Post a Comment